Saturday, September 3, 2016

Building a new high tunnel (part 1)

Last week our new high tunnel arrived on a truck.  
This week we started putting it together. Luckily for us, Robert has access to survey equipment through his job.  Over the years he has surveyed all over our farm.  Our project began with him using this equipment to drop pin flags I the ground where each of the posts for the tunnel would go.  Then we used the tractor and a level to push each post in the ground and make sure they were straight.
This morning we strung a string across the posts of our existing tunnel and used it to determine the depth we needed to push the new posts in.  Then we finished the first driving the first row of posts in to the correct depth.  
This evening we ought to get the second row of posts leveled off as well.  More to come...